First Alert Hardwired Ionization Smoke Alarm with Adapter Plugs - SA9120BPCN (1039809)
Hardwired Ionization Smoke Alarm w/ Adapter Plugs
Enhance your household's fire safety and enjoy greater peace of mind with the First Alert SA9120BPCN Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Adapter Plugs. Equipped with an ionization sensor, this 120-volt hardwired smoke alarm reliably detects smoke from fast-flaming fires and alerts you with an 85-decibel alarm. Included adapter plugs eliminate the need for re-wiring during installation, while a backup battery helps keep the unit running in case of a power outage. Designed to maximize accessibility and ease of use, this hardwired smoke detector features a single button that allows you to test and silence the alarm. And thanks to the universal mounting bracket, this smoke alarm is easy to install.
Ionization Sensor Reliably Detects Flaming Fires
The First Alert SA9120BPCN Hardwired Smoke Alarm with Adapter Plugs comes equipped with an ultra-reliable ionization sensor to provide the earliest possible warning of a fast-flaming fire. The sensor is optimized to detect flaming fires, such as those caused by paper, kitchen grease, and other fast-combusting materials.
Adapters Included for Easy Installation
To facilitate hassle-free installation, this smoke alarm comes with adapter plugs that eliminate the need for rewiring if you are replacing an existing First Alert or BRK branded detector. The universal mounting bracket further eases installation and covers up drywall cutouts, while tamper-resistant locking pins keep the alarm secure.
Battery Backup for Detection during a Power Outage
This smoke alarm is designed for hardwired installation, but it also features a battery backup that helps ensure continued functionality in the event of a power outage. The smoke detector comes with a 9-volt battery and features a pivoting, easy-to-access battery drawer that allows you to replace the battery without dismounting the alarm.
Works in Tandem with Other First Alert Alarms
In addition to functioning independently, this smoke alarm can also integrate with up to 12 other First Alert or BRK hardwired alarms for coverage of larger spaces. If one smoke alarm in the series is triggered, they will all sound. The alarm features a latching indicator to identify which unit triggered the alarm, alerting you to the area of danger.
The First Alert SA9120BPCN Ionization Smoke Alarm meets UL standards and features a 10 year limited warranty.
How to Install First Alert SA9120BPCN Hardwired 120-Volt Smoke Alarms:
In this guide, we'll be showing you how to install First Alert Hardwired Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms. Here are a few items you'll need before starting the installation process: Needle-nose pliers or utility knife, screwdriver, wire stripper, wire nuts and a ladder.
Hardwired Smoke or Carbon Monoxide Alarm Requirements:
- 120V household electrical circuit (unswitched 120VAC)
- Standard wiring junction box to a 4 in. (10 cm) size, on either the ceiling or wall
- Selecting an appropriate location to install your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms (see below guidelines for additional information):
- When installing an alarm on the wall, the top edge of an alarm should be placed between 4 in. (100 mm) and 12 in. (300 mm) from the wall/ceiling line.
- When installing an alarm on the ceiling, place the alarm as close to the center as possible.
- In either case, install the alarm at least 4 in. (100 mm) from where the wall and ceiling meet.
- First Alert Smoke Alarm FAQs
- First Alert Carbon Monoxide Alarm FAQs
Connecting First Alert Hardwired Alarms to 120V Wiring
To begin, turn off power at the junction box and connect your alarm to the building's electrical wiring.
- Locate the junction box and turn off power
- Remove the power connector from the new alarm's packaging
- Using wire nuts, attach the hot (black), neutral (white), and interconnect (orange) wires
|Attach to black wire on power connector|
|Attach to white wire on power connector|
Standalone (single-station) alarm: This wire is not needed; tuck the orange wire into the junction box.
Mounting First Alert Hardwired Alarms
- Secure the mounting bracket to the ceiling or wall using screws (included in the package)
- Insert the power connector into the plug on the back of your alarm
- Tuck any hanging wires into the junction box
- Position the base of the alarm onto the bracket and turn it clockwise until it's secured
- Remove the pull-tab to activate the backup battery
Installing Additional and/or Interconnecting First Alert Hardwired Alarms
If you are installing more smoke or carbon monoxide alarms, you'll want to repeat the process throughout the building. Interconnected smoke and co alarms must meet all requirements:
The same fuse or circuit breaker must power all interconnected alarms.
Up to 18 compatible detectors can interconnect, with a limit of 12 smoke alarms.
The total length of wire interconnecting the alarms should be less than 1,000 ft. (300 meters). This type of wire is commonly available at hardware and electrical supply stores.
All wiring must conform to all local electrical codes and NFPA 70 (NEC). Refer to NFPA 72, NFPA 101, and your local building code for more information.
Interconnect wiring diagram:
If you have any doubts or reservations about these interconnect requirements, please contact an experienced electrician to install your wiring and hardwired alarms.
Restoring Power and Testing Hardwired Alarms
Once you've installed your hardwired alarms, you'll want to restore power to the junction box. Under regular operation, the power indicator light on the alarm will shine/blink to indicate that it is receiving AC power.
Here's how you can test standalone or interconnected alarms:
Standalone Alarms: Press and hold the Test/Silence button until the unit triggers an alarm.
Interconnected Alarms: Press and hold the Test/Silence button until the first unit triggers an alarm. All interconnected detectors should sound off. Repeat this process to test each alarm in the interconnected series.
- Power Source: Hardwired
- Battery Backup: 9V
- Sensor: Ionization
- Interconnect: Can be linked with up to 18 units (12 Smoke, 6 CO/Heat/Relay)
- Smart Technology:Helps reduce nuisance alarms
- Noise Output: 85 dB in a T3 Pattern
- Single Button: One press to silence and test alarm
- Easy Installation: Perfect Mount System includes Gasketless Base
- Adapter Plugs: Includes two that remove the need for rewiring existing First Alert or BRK Alarms
- Tamper Resistant: Includes Locking Pins
- Dust Cover: Keeps alarm clean during construction
- Improved UV Resistance: Keeps alarm from discoloring over time
- Standards: UL 217
- Warranty: 10 Year Limited
- Product Dimensions (LxWxH): 5.6 x 1.9 x 5.6 in.
- Product Weight: .6 lbs.
- Smoke particles of varying number and size are produced in all fires. For maximum protection, use both ionization and photoelectric sensing technologies. Ionization alarms are generally more sensitive to fast flaming fires and photoelectric alarms are generally more sensitive to smoldering fires.
If you are interested in ordering a large quantity of items you may qualify for volume pricing discounts. Volume Discount Pricing is a great way for customers to save big on large, bulk orders of most items available in our store. Please send a bulk order request to our friendly sales staff so they may create a quote and provide personal service for your order! You will receive a response within 1-2 business days and our office hours are Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm CST.
- Let us know what products & the quantities you are interested in.
- Get a detailed quote from a dedicated sales rep.
- Our warehouse ships directly to you.
- You enjoy the savings & are now a preferred customer.